2018-19 GSO Leadership Board
- President: Ryan Kozlowski
- Secretary/Treasurer: Brodie Popovic
- 1st Year Rep: Utsav Patel
- 2nd Year Rep: Wenkai Fan
- 3rd Year Rep: Ryan Kozlowski
- 4th Year Rep: Asron Mahler
- 5th Year Rep: Yuchen Zhao
- 6th Year Rep: Yingru Xu
- At Large: Gleb Sinev
Members of the leadership board are elected by all graduate students in the middle of the summer and serve until the following year's election. The board meets monthly to discuss committee progress, plan for social activities and ensure all students are informed of current issues and concerns. Meeting minutes for board meetings are recorded by the Secretary and are available to current students by visiting DukeBox. The President oversees meetings, organizes volunteers for committee work and confirms that every leader and volunteer completes appropriate tasks. The Secretary/Treasurer records meeting minutes and manages the GSO budget. Each class cohort has a representative who is tasked with being the liaison between his/her class and the leadership board.
2018-19 GSO Committees:
- Colloquium Committee: Achint Kumar, Chair. Members choose the field of physics that will be represented along with the specific speakers and organize the lunches with the colloquium speakers.
- Computing Committee: Trevyn Larson, Chair. Members include IT staff, faculty and admin staff to ensure that all computing needs for all graduate students are met.
- Curriculum Committee: Ethan Arnault & Andrew Seredinski, Co-Chairs. Members serve with faculty, including the DGS. They are tasked with reviewing the graduate curriculum and make recommendations for change as necessary.
- Graduate & Professional Student Council (GPSC) Representative: Tyler Johnson The student representative serves as a liaison between the graduate school at the GSO Leadership Committee.
- Election Commissioner: Jon Yuly, Chair. This student oversees the GSO elections in the Spring and Fall (for incoming students). In addition, he/she administers the Graduate Student Survey.
- Graduate Student Seminar Committee: Yiqiu Zhao, Chair. Members organize the graduate student seminars: recruitment of speakers, venue reservation and food order for complimentary lunch for all attendees.
- News/Web Committee: Ryan Kozlowski, Chair. Members work with administration to collect, maintain and improve departmental communications both on the website and in general.
- Ombudsperson: Erin Conley. The ombudsperson acts as a liaison between students and the Department and/or University to ensure that all concerns voiced by the graduate student are addressed in an appropriate time and manner.
- Social Activities Committee: Adryanna Smith, Chair. Members coordinate and manage all social activities (Welcome Picnic, Tea Time, Cookie Time, S'mores and Cider, Thanksgiving Dinner, T-shirt Design Contest etc. etc.
- Code of Conduct Committee: Justin Raybern & Yuchen Zhao, Co-Chairs. Members work in collaboration with faculty to propose and revise committee standards documents that best fit the needs of the the Physics Departmental Community.