The first building that was built in 1949 remains as the main building of the Physics Department. It currently houses both the Mathematics and the Physics Departments. Although this "old" building was extended in 1963, the departmental needs have outgrown it and currently the department is spread over three other nearby buildings. These include the Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory (TUNL), the Free Electron Laser Laboratory (FELL) and the French Sciences Building.
Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory is a Department of Energy funded laboratory with research faculty from three major universities within the Research Triangle area: Duke University, North Carolina State University, and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Located on the campus of Duke University behind the Physics department, TUNL draws additional collaborators from many universities in the southeast, as well as from labs and universities across the country and all over the world.
The Duke FEL Laboratory is housed in a 52,000 square foot facility with the addition of the 13,000 square foot Keck Life Sciences Research Laboratory on the campus of Duke University in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area of North Carolina. Active areas of research at DFELL include FEL physics, nuclear physics, materials science, and biological and biomedical sciences.
French Sciences Building
The $115 million, 280,000-square-foot building, French Family Science Center (FFSC) was completed in 2006. It features state-of-the-art research and teaching laboratories for genomics, biological chemistry, materials science, nanoscience, physical biology and bioinformatics. The building will bring together several Arts & Science disciplines under one roof, providing space for the departments of chemistry and biology, biological anthropology and anatomy, mathematics and physics.