Credit for Study Abroad Courses

There are several ways to incorporate a semester or a year of study abroad into the physics major program. The possibilities are too numerous and varied to list, but here are some guidelines:

  • Where physics courses are taught in English: Duke physics majors have obtained transfer credit for upper level physics courses taken in Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand. In cases where the course offerings do not match the Duke curriculum well, special arrangements can be made for supplemental work under the supervision of a professor at the foreign institution. See the Director of Undergraduate Studies for details.
  • Where physics courses are not taught in English or you do not want to take physics during your semester abroad: If you feel comfortable taking physics in a foreign language, it is likely that you can find a suitable substitute for any course specifically required for the major. More typically, however, Duke students choose not to take any physics while studying in a different language. The AB program can easily accommodate a semester with no physics, and with a little planning and consultation with the Director of Undergraduate Studies, a BS program can generally be arranged. The one constraint is that PHYSICS 264 and PHYSICS 361 must be completed by the end of the junior year.

If you would like to incorporate a semester or year of study abroad into your physics major program, begin by visiting the Duke Global Education Office for information about affiliated universities. After collecting the relevant information about course offerings at the places that interest you, make an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies to discuss your options.