2011 Physics Honor Society Inductees
At this year's Physics Department undergraduate poster session, a new group of students was inducted into Sigma Pi Sigma, the national Physics Honor Society. Students were nominated by the Physics faculty and by the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Prof. Henry Greenside. Students were nominated based on a combination of academic excellence in physics courses, excellence in physics research, outreach to Duke or to surrounding schools related to physics, and leadership efforts on campus or within the Physics Department involving physics. Duke has one of the oldest Sigma Pi Sigma chapters in the country dating back to the 1920s. The inducted students sign their name into a book containing signatures dating back that far.
Click the link below to see a larger version of the photo and the names and affiliations of the Duke Physics members in the image.
From left to right, the people in the picture are:
- Karthik Seetheram (senior majoring in Electrical Engineering and Physics),
- Kevin Driscoll (senior majoring in Physics),
- Michael Bern (senior majoring in Physics),
- Alejandro Cortese (junior majoring in Physics),
- Alex Beutel (senior majoring in Computer Science and Physics),
- Farzan Beroz (junior majoring in Physics),
- Ashley Jones (senior majoring in Physics),
- Tanya Mitropoulos (senior majoring in Chemistry and Physics),
- Eugene Park (senior majoring in Physics and Mathematics),
- and Director of Undergraduate Studies Professor Henry Greenside.
- Missing is Andrew Ferrante (junior majoring in Physics).