New curriculum (starting in Fall 2010):
No qualifier exams, no general exams.
- 6 core courses.
Tailored to student's goals and needs.
- Modern graduate courses.
- 2 elective courses.
- No breadth requirements.Optional mini-courses.
- Student's research can start early,
but no need to decide the field in the first year.
- Many collaborations with other departments.
could be outside the department (if doing Physics).
Admissions & Applications
- 70–90 graduate students and
- Excellent interaction between faculty members and graduate students. Really.
- In Durham, North Carolina, in the
- A medium sized department, and a medium sized city.
- The applications are processed by the Duke
- The Physics deadline is December 31.
for further information.
The normal assistantships comes with
a stipend of
$26,986 per year.
The Cost of Living is less than most other good institutions.
The tuition and most fees are paid by the
Usually, the health insurance premium
is paid by the Graduate School.
- All students are given assistantships (TA, or RA, or fellowships).
2008 Duke University